San Giorgio Maggiore is one of the islands of Venice. By 829 it had a church consecrated to St George. The San Giorgio Monastery was recognized in 982.
The island is now best recognized for the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore, created by Palladio and begun in 1566.
It is now the headquarters of the Cini Basis arts centre, recognized for its library and is also household to the Teatro Verde open-air theatre.
May perhaps 24 & 25, 2013